Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Big Bang theory, the sucess


A few years ago I started watching a show called “Big Bang Theory.” The show was a pretty new concept, and a good one as far as it went. The idea was to have a show where the main characters were most of the characters were these geeky nerds, each with a specialized problem and interest. The show is a success on many levels.

                The goal of a good show is to reach out to as big a viewership as possible. The humor in the show seems to be slightly reminiscent of the same network’s “Two and A Half Men,” of the same network. Even though some of the references are for a few they don’t negate, or are necessarily part of the overall humor. This can keep both the geek, and non-geek audience happy and well pleased with viewership rather effectively.

                I think the other reason that it does well is that almost all the characters are pitiable in some way. There’s the nervous one, the one that tries way to hard, and the one who has a somehow playful disorder. We can empathize easily with these roles.

                If this wasn’t good enough the show has been running for six seasons. Most shows don’t make it past the first, if they’re good. “30 Rock,” being the obvious exception. When one of the main actors was asked about the show he claimed that he didn’t expect them to get past the pilot, but because it was somewhat of a good, and new concept it got past the fresh season, and became a fairly successful show.   

2 comments:

  1. I happen to be a convert to "The Big Bang Theory," and so I have knowledge of the characters and situations that the show covers. But your readers do not...because you do not highlight them here. You mention that most of the characters are geeks, and that's true. They're scientists and professors, but another character is a struggling actress. What is it in the dynamic of this show (or other shows on CBS in this vein) that reaches out to its audience? Because to get the numbers that BBT brings in, it cannot be "just" nerds watching this show, right?

    You have an excellent opportunity to expand. You briefly mention the "pitiable" characters. Can you give a "for example"? Can you name them so that readers have something tangible to form a connection in their minds?

    What is your goal for this piece? Do you want to get your readers to view the show? Use examples. And what do you mean about 30 Rock?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happen to be a huge fan of The Big Bang Theory. I'm not sure how I started to watch but now I tune in every Thursday to watch a new episode.

    I'm not a science person but I love this show and even if I don't undterstand any science terms they use it goes to show how this TV show is for everyone. My favorite is Sheldon he always gets me with his "Bazinga" and that little funny laugh laugh he does.

    I read or heard somewhere that because of this show the younger audience of this show want to study Physics, I think thats awesome that a show can inspire kids to study science. I hope this show never ends, but realistically its going to come to an end someday which is really sad!

    ReplyDelete